We are proud to continue the enhancements to our facilities and services available to the City of Southaven residents.
Recent improvements to our facilities include:
- Interior renovations with new finishes and furnishings
- Renovated kennel areas with floor finishes that help safety and disease control
- Improved ventilation that offers more comfortable kennel areas for our dogs
- Extended access to our exterior kennels for both staff and customers
- New controls that allow for optimized separation between animals under evaluation and those deemed healthy and ready for adoption (disease control)
Recent improvements to our services include better relationships with veterinarians in our area to help with health screenings, tests, and vaccinations. These offer our animals in process for adoption an optimal condition of health. This allows us to offer newly adopting owners the best animals we can. These relationships also help us set immediate appointments for spay and neuter (per standard policy).
Mississippi State School of Veterinary Medicine makes trips annually to the shelter to spay and neuter shelter animals. In 2018 we had a record number 356 animals spayed or neutered through this service which streamlines the adoption process and cuts down on pet overpopulation.
487 pets were adopted in 2019, and so far, 2020 has been a record year as well with 430 pets adopted!