The Explorer shall not in any circumstances be permitted to carry a firearm while on a ride-along or at any other Explorer function. The Explorer will not be taken into a situation where the officer feels his/her life may be threatened. If a situation does occur, the Explorer will be taken to a safe location and left until another unit is available to go and get him/her.
The Explorer may not:
Ride-Along Program Parameters
- Drive any police vehicles
- Be left in control of any prisoner
- Sign any arrest, offense, accident report, traffic citation, or other legal documents
- Leave the police vehicle or assist at any scene unless so instructed by his/her supervisor
- Assist in providing cover for any possible crime in progress
- Represent in any way that he/she is a police officer
To participate in the ride-along program an Explorer must:
- Complete the criteria set forth by the advisers
- Be 18 years old or a graduate of the Gulfport Police Academy
- Be a member of Explorers for six months
Each Explorer will have a four-hour time limit for the ride-along.
Explorers must agree to follow and abide by all rules and regulations of the Southaven Police Explorer Program, and also if eligible, the ride-along program. If the Explorer fails to honor these rules and regulations set forth, he/she will forfeit their privileges to participate in the program.
We welcome questions or comments. Contact the Southaven Police Department
at (662) 393-8652.